Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Obamobile Went to the Hospital

Chicago Trip

Dad and I went to Chicago this past weekend for the Chicago Sun Times Sports Collectible Convention. It was a good time. He put me to work cleaning up display cases, setting up stuff, running little errands, and standing there looking pretty to attract customers. He bought me some awesome hoodies and fed me all kinds of yummy food at places like Sweet Baby Ray's, Texas Roadhouse, and the Ram. I was spoiled. The best part was that I had an entire weekend with Dad all to myself! :)

A semi-decent picture of my Dad and I:

 
 Just getting things set up at the show:
 The Rhinelander burger I ate at the Ram. NOMMMMM.
 Dad and I were feeling adventurous and ate some sushi on Friday. It wasn't too bad!
 Showing off my vendor tag.

Stupid Van

So on my way to Dad's on Thursday morning, my battery light came on....GREAT! (sarcasm)Thankfully, I made it without any problems, and I had expected the van to be dead when we got back from Chicago, but it started up like a champ when I started it on Monday.

So I took the sexy beast of a van back to Duluth, and everything had been going fine up until Mora...That's when the clock started blinking, so I figured my battery was about to start crapping out on me. I continued on my way, though. I wanted to get as far as I could. I had my radio and fan turned off...anything that could have drained the battery even more. Once I was just a little past Cloquet, the van shut off on I-35....that was pretty sweet. It kind of freaked me out a bit, but I coasted to the shoulder and called AAA. (Thanks Dad for the membership!!!! It has saved my butt on more than a few occasions!!!!) 

I got towed to Cloquet Service Center and sure enough when I got there, they had just closed! On top of it, AAA miscalculated the mileage and I ended up having to pay the tow guy $16. I am covered up to and don't have to pay for any tow within 5 miles....and the lady at AAA said this service center was 1.6 miles away, however she didn't calculate the turn around that the tow truck driver had to make since I was on I-35 in the opposite direction of Cloquet...UGH!

I had to get a rental car because I didn't really know anyone in Cloquet and didn't want to impose on any friends in Duluth to cart my ass around....and that cost me $45. So with the tow, the rental car, and the gas for the rental car, I'm already out almost $70 BEFORE my van was even looked at!

Fast forward to yesterday....The technician looked at my van and it was the alternator. With the parts and labor, the grand total came to $372. Awesome. Why in the heck are alternators so expensive!?! I get labor, but sheesh. The auto shops mark up parts so much, it's ridiculous! I can't wait until I am moved down closer to my fiancé. He is quite handy with vehicles, and I wouldn't be out nearly as much money if the Obamobile had crapped out down there. And I wouldn't have to pay $140 in labor to Eric....a hot, home-cooked meal, beer, and a shoulder rub would suffice for him, I'm sure.

Well, that's all I have for right now. Dad and I stopped at Carr Valley Cheese on our way back from Illinois and I bought some of their bread cheese. I shall experiment with that and let you know how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment