Sunday, May 19, 2013

Yet Another Unpleasant Surprise: On to Plan B

Eric has been truckin' along this week, tearing up carpet and pulling out staples from the floor. Yesterday, he pulled up the padding from the living room and found that the hardwood floor is not finished there either...The floor is fabulous on the sides of the room, but right in the middle is some weirdness going on. I'm upset. This sucks. We were both looking forward to having some nicely redone hardwood floors, but there is too much crap to fix to make it worth it.

Eric is going to continue pulling out staples and getting the carpets out. I will be traveling down to Browns Valley on Wednesday or Thursday this week to help finish cleaning up the floors. On Friday, we are going to buy some wood laminate and on Saturday, my awesome dad is going to come down to help install it. We plan to just do the entire main floor with wood laminate. There is still hope for the upstairs to be re-finished. I have seen two of the bedroom's floors and they are acceptable. We have yet to see our bedroom's floor....we will have to see how that looks...otherwise, we might just say "screw it" and carpet the stairs and the entire second floor. Actually, that sounds like a fine idea. I think Eric might like that idea better, too.

We can see now why everything was carpeted. It's too bad we can't refinish it. Well, we COULD refinish it, but we won't. The house just isn't worth it. We didn't pay squat for the house...You can buy a used car for what we paid for the house, so it doesn't make sense to put a ton of money into it, especially for where it is located. It won't make a profit off of it, unless Browns Valley has some crazy job boom or something where everyone and their mom suddenly wants to move there.

Eric tilled my garden and apparently we have tulips growing along side the house!! And we have rhubarb, too! My little inner homemaker is excited to emerge and bust out my gardening skills (well, um....to learn gardening skills!) and plant some goodies! I found a canner and canning supplies that were left behind from the previous owner in the basement, so this fall I am going to see if Dad or Grandma will teach me the wonders of canning. You readers (if I have any...lol) will get to see all of that....that's basically why I started this blog. That's all country stuff!! :) I am excited to start all of it! :)

I found another job to apply to down there...Keep your fingers crossed. I'm down to one job up here now, and am volunteering at the other place for now just to gain experience. Hopefully, I can get hired there too in a permanent position...either there or at the place I applied near Browns Valley. Either way, I'd be happy. I need a job in my field.

Wedding planning...ugh. Weddings are expensive. I wish I could elope. Eric won't let me. Boo. :) We'll have a big party...It'll be fun. We're looking at having an indoor reception now because an outdoor one has too many risks and is actually a lot more expensive.

I baked cupcakes from scratch tonight...frosting too. I'm going to be popular at work tomorrow.


Those little tufts are where the staples are...Apparently, it's a pain in the butt to pull them out.
 Look how nice the wood floors are outside the weirdness...the floors would have been so nice :(
 Living room, when Eric first uncovered it:
 Dining room has mismatched and unstained wood:

 Eric was proud of all his hard work pulling all these pesky strips off of the floor:




Have a good one! :)

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that i've been keeping up with your trials and tribulations of your journey as you converge on your new life. I am enjoying your blog Leigh. <3 Jess

    ReplyDelete