Sunday, November 24, 2013

The First Week

Things have been going great! I think I am going to love my new job. It's very challenging and there is SO MUCH to learn, but it's all right up my alley. I'm very excited for this new adventure and to help youth learn to lead a better life. We were granted Thanksgiving and the day after off, so it's going to be a short week this week. You can't beat that!

I get so exhausted working all day. My days start by waking up at 5:30, showering, making my fatty, cheesy omelette, and getting coffee started. I then have an hour commute to work. I work until 5 when I take my hour lunch, and so I don't get home until a little after 6pm. I like to make supper, so then I'll get things together from my meal plan that I created. By the time supper is cleaned up, I have about an hour to relax before I go to bed. It's an early bedtime for me with waking up at 5:30. I try to get to bed by 9:30 at the absolute latest.

So this is what it's like to lead a normal schedule and life! I like the routine because I am eating better and I have been taking all my doses of vitamins without forgetting! This is a major accomplishment! I've dropped 4 pounds of my regain in a week. I eat low carb during the morning/day to avoid tummy upset while at work, but when I get home, I'll eat more. I find it easier to control my eating when I don't cut out carbohydrates completely. So I eat what I want, just on a different schedule AND I've lost weight!

I'm very new at this meal planning business. I'm trying to learn the art of meal planning to save money and to eat healthy. We have a lot of junk to eat up in this house (such as Knorr Pasta Sides, Hamburger Helper, etc). I want to be able to move completely away from convenience foods and eat more whole foods. Some people say that they don't have the time to eat healthy, but there are tricks I've learned to save time. For example, last night I make biscuits with supper. I cut out about 30 biscuits, baked 10 of them, and froze the rest. The next time we want biscuits, we just have to pull a few out of the freezer and put them in the oven for 10 minutes. Ouila! There's no measuring ingredients, cutting in butter, etc, etc. The hard work is already done. I've created my own convenience foods! Like I said in a previous post, biscuits are expensive when you buy the ready to bake, canned ones. Mine cost just pennies per biscuit when made from scratch.

We had a sewer back up last weekend. That was rather unpleasant. Since the house had been empty for nearly three years and the sewer not being used, roots from all of our trees grew through the clay tiles in the piping and caused it to block up. The plumber let me look at the video camera as he went into our sewer. It was really neat and he got everything all cleaned up now. The downside to it, is that the roots will grow back and he estimated that we will need another pipe cleaning in 3-5 years. Drain-o and other such products don't actually help with the roots because while it's being flushed through the drains, it doesn't have time to sit on the roots to do much root killing. It's just another one of those expenses to home ownership.

We got DirectTV this week, and it is SO nice to be able to watch TV again! I haven't had a TV in over 3 years because I'm a tightwad and didn't want to pay for it.

Baking and making chili are in my plans for this chilly Sunday. I'm dreaming up some ideas to make some apple turnovers or apple crisp and I want to make some Thanksgiving cut-out cookies if I ever get off this couch.


All settled in! :) 





Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment