Sunday, October 12, 2014

White Eggs!

We were busy last weekend. Eric was kind enough to rig up a light in my coop so I can see the chickens at night when I put them to bed. He also helped me set up a little hide-out inside the coop with straw bales to keep the chickies warm in the winter. The birds love their giant nest...I keep finding eggs buried in it.
The finished product.

BBQ is checking out the new hide-out.

We just basically stacked bales together. The purpose is to keep wind out and to insulate a place so the chickens can huddle and keep warm.

This little lady found a comfy place to rest behind their hideout. She's so cute!

I have two white chickens that I couldn't figure out what breed they were. I'd sit there and research at night and have a hard time falling asleep because I couldn't find a description that matched them. Finally this week, I found a white egg in my coop! That confirmed it! They are leghorns. There are only like three breeds of chickens that lay white eggs and leghorns are one. I couldn't decide whether my birds were young leghorns or if they were white rocks. White rocks lay brown eggs- so that took care of it for me. I'm excited to have chickens that lay white eggs, and the best part is is that these birds are supposed to be excellent layers of large white eggs. They will lay me lots of eggs in their peak laying years.
My first Leghorn egg!

So many pretty colors!

My new barred rocks that I brought home 2 weeks ago are great layers too. I have found a lot of smaller pinkish/brown colored eggs and I hadn't had any of those until I got my new chickens. Trading my ducks for these chickens was a great idea! One of the poor girls is molting- she's losing her feathers so she can grow new ones. It happens once per year in the fall- usually starting after they are 18 months old. She looks terrible. She's missing a big patch of feathers on her butt and on her chest. Her little hiney is all red too from irritation. It must be miserable molting like that!

I hung out inside my coop this morning and watched my birds. I found a bunch of eggs in their little hut and watched two birds lay me some eggs. I found 5 eggs this morning. They are way too much fun to watch. I brought them some cucumbers, eggs, and peels to snack on. It's really fun to see all the food they eat. I started fermenting their feed, too and they LOVE that! The fermenting helps more vitamins to develop in the feed- there are other health benefits but I can't think of them right now. To ferment, I added water to their feed and let it sit a few days. It comes out as mush and has like an oatmeal consistency. The girls love, love, love it.

Having some snacks!

Francis is a manwhore. He keeps trying to hump the ladies....I watched him chase the ladies around this morning, but they weren't having it. Lol! Other than that, he is doing pretty well. He does NOT like when I pick up one of the girls...He gets all butt hurt over it and clucks at me to put them down. It's good to know he's so protective of the ladies.

I cleaned out the rest of the garden this weekend. I finished blanching my brussel sprouts and I canned Eric some more sliced jalapenos. I think it's safe to put my canner away for the year...Unless I buy a bunch of potatoes. Those are awesome canned! :)

It's a three-day weekend for me today and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I've been laying around eating like a heifer...but it is quite relaxing. Eric has an incentive going for me- if I lay off the carbs all weekend, he will buy me a pedicure. I'm totally taking him up on that offer.

I've been cleaning the house a bunch too because my dad and his buddy are coming down to hunt next weekend, so I want to keep the house nice and acceptable looking. It will be fun having dad around. I am probably going to do a lot of cooking and this week, I'll make cookies or something for them. :)

I got a job as a mental health practitioner for an agency near my county. I will be on call every other weekend and when people go to the ER for being suicidal, I will go and complete an assessment on them to determine the severity and make referrals to placement for them. It's much more up my alley than being an EMT would have been. I'm looking forward to starting. My boss and the people there are pretty cool. The lady who interviewed me tried hard to get me to work for them about a year ago. I had been offered a lead position and then later they wanted to interview me for a supervisor position, but by that time, I had already accepted the position working for the state. I can have best of both worlds now!

Jack has been super clingy lately....He's so cute though, so I'll excuse it! Lily has been peeing outside the litter box again and I'm once again on a mission to fixing the problem. She gets bladder inflammation and that's what causes her to pee outside the box. I've tried everything, and now I'm switching them all to primarily wet food twice per day to push more fluids on her. I hope this helps.

Lily, Arnold, and I chillin' on my day off.

Jack is such a Daddy's boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment