Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Chickens have arrived!

This has been a busy week! I made a few tasty meals for Eric including turkey gravy, chicken and broccoli quinoa bake, and today will be tacos! We decided that we need to start eating healthier so I'm going to work on cutting carbs out and exercising.

I practiced my homesteading skills by making my own laundry soap. Eric is allergic to normal laundry detergent so I wanted to try making my own. I'm also trying to use vinegar as a fabric softener and once we use up the Bounce sheets that we have, I'm going to make my own with old rags and essential oils.

Recipe: 2 cups of borax. 2 cups of washing sode, and grate one bar of natural soap. Mix and store in an airtight container. Apparently, you use 2 tablespoons per load, but we have hard water so I will need to play around with the amount. 


The chicks have arrived from Cackle Hatchery in Missouri. Their hatch date is 2/6/2017. From what I can see, I have my three Jersey Giants that I ordered, 4 Leghorns (1 died in transit), a handful of Barred Rocks, and a few Buff Orpingtons. There is one mysterious all-black chick and I'm still trying to figure out which breed that is.





No comments:

Post a Comment